Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ivy and The Goose

Why do I love this pup so much?



Think working a single ewe takes good stock sense, try a single, pissed off goose!
Yes, she has a hold of Ivy!
Ivy's never dealt with this before and she was stellar! Notice the distance she's giving the bird, yet not backing down. She never gave ground and she never laid into the goose- she was both brave and patient.
"I'm smarter and faster" Ivy says.

"I said not that way!"
"Thank You"
Ivy did such a great job. The goose got behind the rest and then waddled off. I used it as an opportunity to show her what a "look back" is, and she the handled the lone goose like a grown dog! She never backed down, but she never got ugly with the goose or just decided all she could was plow in and make a mess. She hung with it even when the goose got really ugly. What impressed me the most was once the goose was waddling off in hot pursuit of the rest of geese, Ivy kicked off the lone goose and flanked out to bring me the whole group! I was really impressed with her stock sense today. Geese aren't sheep, but what she did didn't have anything to do with what kind of stock it was, it was about problem solving and being kind, yet assertive with the stock. This is exactly what Cruz does and makes no difference to him if it's a bird, sheep, or cow...
(BTW, all these photos were taken by my 13 yr old son, Charlie. Wait till you see the other pictures of Clare and Ivy he took! The kid has talent!)


































No comments: