Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Winter

This seems like the longest, sloppiest, ugliest winter we've had in Virginia since we've been here. We just can't seem to catch much of a break. It's either rain, wicked cold (for the SE), rain and cold, snow, wind, wind and rain, and so forth. Since about November. I'm over it. The dogs are over it. The ewes have had their lambs are they are big enough to tag along during training- that is if I could ever catch a decent day on my days off. I can't wait until the sun is in the sky until 8pm! Patience I guess, but I'm tired of the gloomy, cold, wet days! It's supposed to be in the mid 50s early next week, but not without rain on a few days. I guess that's better than 39 and rain... The kids had a two hour delay this morning because of snow/slush overnight. They have had more snow days this year than I think they've had in their 8 years of schooling combined! Some of the school systems have added 20 minutes to each day until the end of the year, others are shortening breaks, and having school on holidays they would normally have off. I hope we have a spring. I hope we don't go from running the heat to blowing the a/c! I'd like to have a little open window weather! I imagine not having my husband here doesn't much help. It can make for some really rough days. I miss him. July seems a forever away. Weather slowed the crate training process, as they continued to need an inside area, an area in the insulated garage (aka, kennel building), as well as their covered kennel with a dog house. Their inside area was "converted" to their crate area on Monday. They had been doing very well in their area at night, sleeping quietly all night and very few poops in the cedar chip end of the area. So Monday night they slept in their crates- away from each other for the first time. (except for Henry due to the issues him and John were having so Henry had been in a large wire crate for a few nights prior) They fussed very little. They each kinda took one short turn. Well... maybe John's turn was a little longer. I got up once at 1am and let them all out to pee. I've continued to only get up that one extra time, and have slept peacefully all 3 nights. :-) I'm very proud of the babies. They have taken to this new step in growing up just as they have with every other "milestone". They are the most incredibly bright and easy to get along with pups. I'm so excited for nicer weather and longer days so I can start doing some fun stuff with them.

No comments: