Sunday, February 15, 2009

10 More Nights!!!

Glory Be!! Ten more 10pm-7am shifts!! I got the Dept. Manager job I interviewed for last week! It comes not too much before nights would have gotten to be un-doable, both because it's an insane shift for someone still trying to have normal life, and because when Ben goes back to the ship in June, I will not be able to be gone during the night because he will have duty days, be out to sea, possibly have some shift work schedules etc... The boys are now old enough to be alone during the day if needed, but we would never, ever leave them for 10 hours during the night. The boys proved their growing maturity the last 2 weeks, getting up, getting ready, and onto the bus alone. Ben had to be at work at 6am, so the kids had to set their alarm and do the morning routine alone. I will get a raise (somewhat small because I lose the 50 cent shift differential) which is nice, (I'll get an additional .40 or .60 in April after my review- which should result in .60 since in less than a year I've had 3 different positions, had a 90-day "exceeds" review, was given an associate of the month award, and now, have been hired as a dept. manager) but more importantly it's 7am-4 M-F!! Wal-Mart may be a lot of things, and one thing it is is a company at which you can "grow". Never in my wildest dreams did I think at this time last year that I would have a job, let alone a dept. manager position in a year's time!! Even when I started work, I only anticipated to go to work, get paid, and that'd be that. Funny how that happens. Now I'm seriously thinking about salaried management! The bummer is I can't do any further stuff with that until I'm 6 months in my current position. If I had stuck with nights until about March/April I would have been able to go forward with stuff- but I'm surely not going to pass up dept manager because of that.

No comments: