Sunday, May 3, 2009

Everyone Has a "Style"

I actually had time to work dogs a couple times this week after work. Unfortunately I had to work yesterday (well, didn't have to, but was asked). Friday was a long, exhausting day. I got home from work, had time to change my clothes, then it was off to the ball field. Dylan was sick last weekend, so I had to work in the concession stand this Friday. Naturally you work the game that your child isn't playing in, which meant we were at the field at 5:15 for 6pm game, then I had to work in the stand for the second game. (blah) So it was 10 minutes to 10pm when we got home. I hate that. Yesterday after work I had to go to the ball field again (found out at about 1pm), this time to wait for Tony's oldest girls to finish their softball game, while he and Ben went to Norfolk to buy Tony a car. So I came home with 4 of his 5 kids, and of course my 2. I got home at 6:40 to find the owners of dog I have in for training already here (they were to be here at 7-7:30- ugh early!). I hate it when people come early... So I spent over an hour with them... My plan was to get off work, relax and work my young dogs.... Today we've been cleaning the house because this past week we all just let it go to shit- damn! We have to be at the ball field (see a pattern here...) at 1:30 (for the 2:30 game). I'm hoping the weather holds so I can work some dogs when it cools just a bit. It's pretty humid. I'm always so short on time, it's frustrating. I try to not get overwhelmed, but sometimes I don't succeed. I'm looking forward to my week off from work. I enjoy my job, but because of my integrity, it can sometimes take me over! I can't stand it not being right, and I have a hard time saying no. I tend to go by the saying of anything you do, do your best, and take pride in it.
Anyway... enough about work.
My topic has to do with the dogs. I've been working the young dogs lately with a little bit of seriousness, now that they are over a year and mentally pretty on the ball. I have to say, without any bias, that Ivy is the best dog I've owned- both on and off the field. She IS my kind of dog in every aspect (thus far). She is a big, quick flanking pup. When she's asked to stop she doesn't continue to put pressure on the sheep. She gets right up from a stop, and so far she is fearless. She's also so much my kind of dog because you can be kind to her. I do not, at all, enjoy a dog I'm fighting the whole time. I don't enjoy a dog who wants to beat me. Basically I want a dog with natural talent, common sense, wants to be right, and is a go-getter attitude. I don't like mushy, and will not tolerate a quitter, but I don't at all think that then you must have a "hard" dog. In fact I think a lot of times, the hard dogs are quitters, or at the very least, not team players. In other words, if they can't do it "their" way, they aren't going to do it. It's just not for me. I want smart, which coming from Cruz and Gwen she certainly is. I think she is a perfect blend of her parents. From Gwen she got those nice big, full flanks, her friendly temperament, and her fun personality. I think she'll be a natural outrunner like Gwen as well. Cruz lightened Gwen's desire to "come to their heads" and not wanting to push into the pressure when the sheep have stalled out. Ivy doesn't appear to be doing that- it helps too, that I have already gone thru that with her mother, so I knew what to watching for- I think a lot of that with Gwen could have been avoided if I had seen sooner what was happening. So right now, Ivy is pretty much peferect- for my style. I know some people don't like dogs that are easy to handle because they have the opinion that they are "soft", and I know some people don't like big, fast flanking dogs. It's all about what you enjoy working. I think her and I are going to be an outstanding team! :-) I think she will be a better dog than Cruz only because of what I have learned since Cruz, and because all she knows is stock work. She never had to over come all the the things that weaken a stock dog when you first do sports. Yes, you can do both- but doing agility only for nearly 3 years before he and I even tried herding was not an outstanding factor. We both had so much to over come. However, it did at least mean that we were already a bonded team- and to me, that's vidal!
I hope sometime soon I can someone to make a video of Ivy. Clare is doing nicely as well, but she is not as ready as Ivy. She's going to come in short at the top, just like Deal used to do. She's never in a hurry, which is so different from Gwen, Ivy, and Cruz. Her flanks are in a trot. I'm not going to do much with her right now. Given the way Toss and Kit have been slow to mature, I know it's likely Clare will be the same.
Well, I should go for now. I was sent some very nice pictures of Cruz's Aunt, (who is also Edge's grandmother) Blaze. I'll have to save them and put them on here. She's a very pretty girl- even at almost 11! She's being leased and brought of out "retirement" to have a chance to run in a few sheep trials from time to time. I feel very blessed to have 2 dogs closely out of that HatsOff Bill line. They are my kind of dogs. I wish I had known that years ago so I could have gotten another pup or two only one generation from Bill.... Bill's gone now, and Cruz's mother (and of course Blaze) with be 11 this fall. When it's the right time, I will have more of that line. I think in time we all find a line that is best suited for our own taste. I'm confident I've found mine... :-)

No comments: