Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Job Security

So I heard today that another store is about down the drain... Seems VA based Circuit City is filing for bankruptcy. Now more than ever am I glad that we depend on a military income to keep this family sheltered and fed! And to have our second income come from an over-night job at wal-mart... As I mentioned before the local wal-mart did indeed cut back on the daytime hours, but almost 100% left the overnight associates hours alone. My new position as 3rd shift in stock is going well. ICS, as it's called, is a fairly overwhelming job since this store has been "allowed" to acquire back stock that's just simply out of control! We have bins and steels that are 100% full. The paper dept. is an entire trailer that's backed into the building, and there are 3 trailers of housewares and domestics that are outside, as is the toy trailer... We (me and one other associate, or just me or just him) are expected to do several hundred "picks" a night, plus re-bin all the over stock... Hopefully this new system will cut down on the over-stock- but right now it's simply too much! For a week 4 of the dept. managers were working nights along with Sayed and I. We had about 47%. The following Saturday when it was only Sayed and I we had 41%! LOL! Dept managers..... they aren't used to real work. I'm sorry, but 3rd shift is what holds that store together! We walk into in that backroom at 10:00 with crap everywhere and the freight that's put out on the floor that has to go up (or binned- which is mine and Sayed's job after 3am when the pick lists go out of the system). This is why I have job security. Wal-mart is never going to cut 3rd shift- we are invaluable. We are the backbone of the company! If it's not on the floor, customers can't buy it! My job can be a little overwhelming, but I do like it and to work for a company that has job security... that in it's self, says something....

No comments: