Saturday, November 29, 2008

"Black Friday"

Naturally I worked Thursday night, which of course leads into Friday morning. I have never gone shopping on "Black Friday" as large crowds are not my thing, much less large crowds of intense, sometimes crazy people looking to save $5 on something meaningless!! Thursday night I did not do my usual job. Instead I was put in charge of a group of people to help set up blitz merchandise. Blitz merchandise are the products that are only out for those 5am-11am sales. It's craziness! Our action alleys are cleared and the blitz merchandise is rolled out and we had maps of where stuff needed to be staged. It was an intense shift since I was given responsibility for not just myself but for several other people- I didn't have the luxury of just following orders. I guess that's a positive thing... We had aisles roped off and people were already standing in front of what they wanted by 3am! At 5am I had to work in the toy action alley. Terrific! (sarcasm) The crowd was insane!! You literally could not move at times and our wal-mart is out in the country! (a New York associate was trampled to death) Some people were nice, but some were quite rude! I helped one lady and wheel-chair bound husband locate the tv they wanted (via our map). About an hour later she found me, got right in my face and was very, very ugly! She said "YOU, told me the tv was in site to store and when I finally got up there I was told it was not in this area!!" I took out my map and looked again, the emerson tv she wanted was listed in site to store. I bit my tongue and politely told her "Ma'am the map says site to store and unless I personally put my hands on the product when it came out, all I have to go by is the map". I grew tired of people thinking that just because I work there I am going to magically know right where everything that just got pulled to the floor 2 hours ago is!! I was thankful I only had from 5-7am to deal with that! There is a reason I work in the back! LOL! Customers can be so incredibly rude and disrespectful and because they're customers they can be that way! Bull shit- that sucks! Rude is rude customer or not! I could never work the front end! At least not work it and enjoy it. I'm glad I have the position I have. I am swamped with work every night, move around and lift stuff for 8 hours non-stop. Especially in pets and chemicals. Chemicals is heavy stuff- cases of laundry soap and bleach is quite the work out after a pick list of 50 items or so and then binning of that many or more in the morning (overstock). And of course pets requires the slinging of bags from 5-50lbs. I'd be a bit bored up front and the time would drag. Different strokes for different folks. Many associates would never think of working as physically hard as I do, but it's what I enjoy.
We had a nice thanksgiving. It was just our family. We basically ate all day. I buy lots of things to make "grazing food" along with a ham. Then we have our turkey and fixin's around 6pm.
I have more to write, but need to get dinner made. More tomorrow.

No comments: