Friday, July 10, 2009

"Restructuring"

Well, it's happening. Wal-Mart is "down sizing". It isn't what they call it, but it is what it is. In our store we are going to have 7 "new" positions. These new positions are called "zone supervisors". Zone supervisors are a bump up from dept. manager and a bump down from an assistant manager. We currently have 12 assistant managers and will be cut down to 8. The zone sup. positions will be filled from within, and will only be filled by department managers. (or assistants who step down). The positions that are left open by dept. managers taking the zone sup. position will not be "refilled", but rather "absorbed" by another dept. manager.... So basically in our small store we will go from 12 to 8 assistant managers and have as many as 7 less dept. managers... Job of the zone sup. will be more than half of what the assistants do now, only it's a $2.40 raise, vs. a starting salary of $40K a year. Additionally, those dept managers that "absorb" another dept (or 2) will not get any kind of raise. (since in theory this new zone sup. should take some of the current dept. manager burden). Given my backroom history and the fact that I basically ran that 3rd shift in stock crew (I still hear "how come you could get it done" and "you should have never left") I'm thinking I'll at least get an interview for the backroom zone job. The hours are different than the 7-4 M-F dept shift. It's a rotating shift of 8am-5 and 11am-8pm. If that doesn't happen I'm guessing I'll end up being moved to dry grocery, as I'm certain the current dept manager there will get the zone sup. position. This is all going to happen FAST. Kevin (store manager) said it will be completely in place in 2 weeks!!! Additionally, when questioned about the new shift hours, he said that no one should pass up the zone position because of shift hours. Meaning that our 7-4, M-F dept manager shift may be coming to an end. (and for me personally, I cannot think of the last time I worked a true 7-4 M-F- it wouldn't be that big of deal to me) I'll keep ya'll posted. I opened my positions to take the backroom, grocery, dry grocery, and hardlines. No operations (front end) and no soft lines (clothing)- as I am not familiar with either. In the meantime I'm enjoying my 3 and half day weekend, as we cannot go over our 40 hours and last week we got holiday pay for the 4th (I worked half a day on the 4th). Of course if it were union I'd either be getting OT or working M-F 7-4. None of these 12 hour days, then have to cut it at the end of the week.... Although that didn't start happening until June. Before that they were very good about giving those of us that they knew were USING 4-8 hours OT correctly the OT. Now it's gone.
I'm going to Carol's tomorrow evening in time to work a couple dogs before dark, staying the night and working dogs Sunday morning. That way I don't have to get up at 4:30 am or so to get to her place by 7am.

No comments: