Friday, October 16, 2009

Border Collie Weather!!

Brrr, yuck. Well, that's what most would say anyway! But not those "kookie" Border Collies, or those of us who are dedicated to them! 50, windy, and wet just seems to put a big grin on their face. I have the weekend off and the weather forecast is that it will remain 50 and wet thru Tuesday. As long as it doesn't pour, it'll be fine to get them all some time on sheep. I'm planning on going to Ella's on Sunday. She has some large fields as well as young cattle. Cruz and Gwen have worked these cows before and it went very well. The calves hadn't ever been worked by a dog, but they were perfect. They didn't run or be stupid and they didn't seem to be interested in kicking or turning around on the dogs. (I'm sure a lot of that is because both Gwen and Cruz are wonderful on cattle and know how to move them without putting on too much pressure) So I'm excited about that. It'll be good to get away with a few dogs for a day. I'll probably take Cruz, Gwen, Deal, Toss and Mary Jane. I'd like to take Emma along for the ride, but we'll see. The 3 ewes Ella got from me will coming back with me on Sunday to be bred. They'll go back to Ella in a couple weeks, then this spring I'll bring the lambs back here. That way I'll hopefully have 6 or more additional sheep. I need to build my little "flock" back up. It's hard to have all of your sheep bred, but I've done it before, and it'll be okay. Once the lambs are born and old enough to keep up, they really add a new element to a dog's training. I love watching a dog's wheels turning as he/she figures out how to handle the unpredictable movements of a lamb and a sometimes very protective mama fairly and firmly. It's a magical thing to watch dogs like Cruz literally use his shoulder or nose to move a lamb, and still be able to move a cranky mama ewe without causing her stress. Or to be able to have him right there in the barn with you watching a lamb be born and not have any of the ewes worried about his presence because he's so clearly sending "I'm off the clock ladies" vibes. (he's the only one of mine that can do that) And more still is watching a talented dog stay 110% focused on a ewe while a curious lamb walks all around the dog, sometimes even touching the dog. :-) Those are the kind of moments I get the most excited about.



Well I have a few minutes to go play some ball with the dogs before it's time to get ready for work. Work 11-8 today, then the weekend off. :-) Work is intense and fairly stressful right now. It'll get better as our new store manager works on some major holes, the largest being holding every department manager and beyond accountable. As he has said to me there are way too many DMs that have about 3 hours worth of work, but take all 8 to get it done. This new merchandising position is A LOT, but it will get better as I learn more and as dept. managers are held accountable for more than price changes and the BAM screen! Today I need to go in a little early because I forgot my sheet with the COMAC and company direction sheet for action alley and the end caps in grocery at work. I was going to bring it home to look over, but forgot it. It has to be set by Monday, so I'll need to get a lot of it done today. Seems easy enough, but like anything, only things you haven't ever done yourself seem easy!! Retail is fast paced and forever changing, and it's never "done". Anyway, all for today.

No comments: