Saturday, November 21, 2009

Almost My Weekend

I work tomorrow and then it's my "weekend". I'll be glad to have two days in a row again. I've been really tired this past week. Friday the boys missed the bus because I turned off my alarm at 5:30 (it was my day off) and fell dead asleep until 7:02!! Bus arrival? 7:06... And last night I was in bed by 8:00. I work 11-8 tomorrow, but I'm about to ready for bed so I can get up and do a few things before work. Ben will be home Monday afternoon! :-)
I worked most of the dogs on Friday. Some on geese, some on sheep. The young dogs I worked in the paddock and barn. I used to do that all the time when my now trained dogs were young, and I need to get to back to that with this new group of young dogs. Ivy did much better in this situation. She did a fine job bringing them to the barn, scooping them out of the barn, etc... Yes, I let her "yee-ha" a little, but my only goal (and by yee-ha I don't mean take a hold and not let go etc... but letting her get up in there some? Yes indeed.) was to get her heart in the game and keep her on her feet as much as possible. This seemed to be a lot more exciting for her than just simply fetching them about the yard- and I have to agree. Kit needs this type of work because she tends to be a little hot and heavy in the tight spots. She's more mature now and more confident, so I was able to fuss at her a bit when she was a tad bit too much. After just a couple to-the-barn-in-the-barn-out-the-barn, repeat, she settled right in. I'm a firm believer that if a dog can't do stall/small barn/trailer loading etc, then you probably shouldn't send him 200 yards on an outrun. Even if he can do the outrun. If they don't have the skills and stock sense to work close and tight and do it with quiet authority, then you're setting your dog up for failure somewhere on the course. I think it usually shows up in the lift and the drive.
I did not play with Emma on sheep or geese and plan to keep her from them until the 1st part of the year. She is incredibly keen and confident, and that is not going to just go away. There's nothing she needs to be doing on stock at 5 months old...
Well, it's 9:07 and I'm draggin', so it's time to let the dogs out for their last drink and pee before bed. I ordered Dylan's new frames today and they should be in around Weds. $106. Not too bad I suppose. The exam was covered via insurance and I get 20% off the frames at work, so I guess I shouldn't complain. One in glasses and one in braces... Even WITH insurance Charlie's mouth is $200/mo!! Oh well, what's the option? There isn't one!

No comments: