Friday, April 4, 2008

Online/The "Real" World/Night Shift

We've been having major connection problems with our satellite computer service this week. Not sure why, but I think the whole company is having trouble. I called today and waited 20 minutes (on a cell phone...) and never got a person. So hopefully I can get this published today... The blogger automatically saves every few seconds, so that's NICE- if I get knocked off, I won't lose 30 minutes of my life to cyber space!
As I mentioned before, I had to go in for a 3rd day of 10-4PM stuff for my new little job. Man! I sure am glad I don't have to live around that type of work schedule! My dogs were wondering where I was all day and if I'd forgotten about them!! Although I didn't have to go in during the day before working my real 6PM-3AM shift, I had to get our 2 week grocery shopping done- so there I was, day four of being gone all those "good" hours! Yuck!! At least with nights I still have from 10am-4pm. I'm not sure if sleeping 4am-10am 7 days a week would work, but I'm hoping it will be okay for 4 days/week. Right now I work 3 days in a row, have 2 days off, work 1 day, then have 1 day off before the 3 days in a row. I have 2 weekdays in a row and 1 weekend day. After putting in 4 days of daytime hours, I know why so many people question one's ability to properly raise and keep worked a fair number of dogs. It wouldn't be doable! Especially during the winter when it's dark when you leave, and dark when you get home! I don't know how ya'll 9-5'ers do it!!
I hope I can keep up the with the hours, because I very much like the job! I didn't want anything I had to think about when off work, and I really didn't want to have to be dealing with customers for 9 hours. My job is quite simple and it's the kind of thing where once you develop your method, you'll just breeze thru it.
This is what I do... The boxes with merchandise are already loaded onto the pallets. Sometimes the pallets are even brought to me, if not I just go get them. I get about 20 carts, and start my "break packs". I open the boxes and put the merchandise in the right cart- ie, mens wear, ladies, etc... The only dept. that's separated within it's self is Health and Beauty. Pain meds go in one, hair stuff in another, etc. It's simple, but it is fast pace. If you don't go as quick as you can, the guys from the back will have you quite boxed in. Once that's done, I deliver (or some come and get them) the carts to the departments, and I go to HB and start putting the stuff on the shelves. Other than an occasional customer (by now it's after 11pm), looking for something, I'm just busy doing my own thing. No one hoovered over me last night, and no one felt the need to "hold my hand". Simply, "this what we do- go for it". Exactly what I wanted!! Simple, done nearly alone, and busy so the time goes by. I was amazed at how well it got to be 3am. I was a little worried that on my hour long 9:30 'lunch' I'd start to get tired- but I didn't. The night people seem to be a decent group to be around, so that's good. Tonight I don't think anyone will be helping me with the break packs, unless there's another huge truck like last night. The drivers are on strike I guess and what's happening for this store is they're waiting to send trucks until they have like 2000 items, instead of like 1200. (ya kinda wonder why they don't do that normally doesn't it?) So if your local stores look a little bare, that's why. The store I work for does not have a union, but the drivers are backing up the union drivers. Maybe the trucker's have enough power that someone will listen, I doubt it, but maybe. If they refused to drive until the fuel came down, maybe enough influential people would be affected and something could be done. Highly unlikely though I suppose! I'm glad I'm still able to babysit. She doesn't pay me much (we're friends), but what she does pay me/month is just about what it will cost me to go to work/month. (if I drive my truck- most nights I can drive Ben's car and get over double the gas mileage) Last night Ben's "ETA" was about 8 minutes too late and I had to take my truck. (I hope I'll be able to save this when I get back online- it stopped getting a connection when I started talking about the truckers)
When I got home at 3:30am, I let all the dogs out for about 10 minutes, came inside made sure the kids' had clothes laid out and I packed my youngest son's lunch box. Ben didn't have any trouble getting them ready and off to school, so that's good. The boys pretty much get themselves ready, as the routine is always the same, but they still need someone up and watching the time. Our youngest will have to set an alarm so he knows when to walk out for the bus because Ben normally needs to be gone before he gets on the bus. (Our oldest leaves 40 minutes earlier than our youngest) Ben gets both up at the same time and our youngest has some extra before needing to catch the bus. Of course I'm here while our youngest is waiting for his bus-time, I'm just hopefully asleep. I slept till 10:00 and hopefully that will be enough. I didn't sleep solid 4-10am, but hopefully after a couple shifts I will. Once I know the boys are getting ready and on the bus okay and I feel comfortable with the dogs new routine, I should sleep thru the morning routine.
I do think I'm going to take a short nap here in a minute. I'll have enough time to do a little work with a few of the dogs before I need to make some dinner. I think grill cheese and tater tots sounds like a plan... I don't need to start that until 4:45. So I'm signing off for now. I printed some things out to read on my breaks.

No comments: