Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Still Here!

Well, between this intermittent online availability (the wind has moved the dish) and getting myself adjusted to my work hours, I haven't been able to write for a bit. I have emails I need to reply to, but I'm starting here. If anyone's written to just say "hi", this is my "hi" back until I have more time. I'm wrapping up all the stuff for the VBCA newsletter so I can drop it off at the printer on my way to NC to work dogs and pick it up on the way home. I'm going tomorrow even though it will mean about 4 hours of sleep. I have tomorrow and Thurs. off, so I can catch up by going to bed at the normal time tomorrow and Thurs. I'm not missing another training day!! This will be a pretty light newsletter, having mostly just entry forms and results. I don't have much filler material and I want to get the entry forms out to everyone in a timely manner... I printed out some things to work on for it during my lunch hour. I have to take an hour long lunch, so I like having something to do. Last night I watched Medium, which I haven't watched in a long time. I like the job well enough. I work 95% of the time by myself, which I prefer. It goes faster when you have your own one system. Thank goodness we've only had the one night without a truck so far. It made for a long 9 hours! If I have to be there, I'd just assume be busy!
I'm still planning on going to 1, or both days of the cattle trial in Gladys, VA in a couple weeks. I signed Gwen up for both Nursery and Open. It's one run, for both classes. I wish it were 2, although getting the points for both classes for only an additional $2 is nice too. I think Gwen can still run Nursery next season. I forget what the cut off is. I want to say it's July, but I could be totally off. I'm not going to risk the iffy connection and to pull it up right now. Gwen won't be 3 until Oct 31 2009. I can't imagine I would go to cattle finals in 2009, but one never knows... Cruz is one hell of a cow dog, and since he's pushing 7 (in May), I may try to qualify and go. A friend of mine from here in VA goes every year and like me is not a wealthy woman, so maybe we could ride together. Who knows, it's a year off!
I need to order a bigger whistle. On Saturday I worked a few dogs and decided to really push some distance with Cruz, just to see where we're at with distance and control. I sent him on an insane outrun, probably pushing 500 yards and he was perfect. He needs little to no help on the fetch, so my whistle wasn't that important. I did a very long drive, probably an honest 300 yards out, and I could tell my whistles were not reaching him. Cruz is a completely honest dog, so I know without a doubt when he's wrong, or is standing waiting for direction, he's simply not hearing me. I found that my voice actually carried better- however he could not hear what I was saying and my 'walk ups' were often a flank. I've been told by people who know, that the type of whistle I have will 'top off' before Open level distance, and indeed it did. I think I have the Montana Lite. (looks like a bell) When I first got them, I could not hold the Half Moon in my mouth, now I wish I hadn't given it away. There are a couple out there I'd like try, but of course they're like $50 or more. I'll have to get one by summer time though I suppose. It'll be a bummer to have a long drive fall apart because my dog can't correctly here me.
The puppies are doing great. Clare looks like a little dog. I called her Deal this morning. Not by mistake, but because I thought that's who it was! From the side or the back they are identical! If it was just markings I'd be able to tell them apart, but she moves exactly like her mother! It's amazing! She is absolutely stellar on the hair sheep!! She is drop dead serious, flanks like a pro and flips right over to the other side when I change direction. I can also see that, given a larger area, she's going to have natural pace behind sheep!! I'm just thrilled with everything this little pup is doing! Her sister, Loki was here yesterday. She's gorgeous pup too. She's going to have coat. She looks a lot like one of Deal's littermates that didn't look at all like Deal. Daren is going to bring her over on Saturday so I can try her on sheep. I'll be sure to get pictures. I'm hoping tomorrow someone can video the pups in the round pen and Cruz and Gwen on the steers. Jim is keen on sheep and appears to have somewhere between Gwen and Cruz with eye. He wanted to keep at their heads, but not as much as Gwen did as a pup. He's a thinker and not in there making a mess. I appreciate that greatly!! He took the pressure of me pushing him around very well and ended up giving me a few very nice circles around them. Ivy still doesn't 'see' them at all. She's not worried or afraid, but she's also not turned on at all. Sly goes around very nicely and very seriously. None of these pups are silly around the sheep- that impresses me. Keele has turned on and thinks he wants to work cows, and Wren is doing the same. Of course neither will be doing that for a very long time. Clare has already had her pretty slick and shiny coat for awhile, and now the coated Cruz pups are losing their puppy fuzz and their pretty adult hairs are coming in.
The lambs and the chicks are doing good. The chicks are almost feathered out now and are starting to look like pretty little birds instead of some ugly half feather, half fuzz creatures!
I guess this needs to be about it for now. I need to print out a few more things for the newsletter and start getting into 'going to work' mode. It'll be good to have 2 days off! I'm glad the weather is going to shape up for tomorrow. The weekend looks iffy.

No comments: