Monday, March 24, 2008

Meet The Working Dogs

Mary Jane is an attractive, sensible, natural working bitch with loads of balance and the perfect amount of eye. She has plenty of power while still having great natural pace. She is a combination of tough mid-west ranch dogs and well proven trial dogs. Her background is both sheep and cattle, as she closely goes back to Emil Luedecke's Ben (thus then Imp. Tyne), Imp. Ben, Bill Berhow's Nick, and Joni Swanke's bitch Belle. Belle was a top producing bitch and littermate to Kathy Knox's Ettrick Bob. Mary Jane has OFA good hips and DNA eye tested normal. I bred her this past year to my dog Toss. I kept a male pup from the litter and he is quite the go-getter, and at 10 weeks was going right on around sheep and keeping them to me. Mary Jane hasn't done much trialing, but will get out more in the near future. MJ's DOB is Nov 2004.


Sly is the male pup I kept from the MJ X Toss breeding. I wasn't planning on keeping a pup from this litter, as both parents are young and I was already keeping 3 planned pups back. (both parents being young simply means I would have the opportunity to keep a pup back at a future date) He's a pretty little tri that is VERY full of himself. He's clearly showing his mother's eye and balance. Sly was born in Dec 2007, so it will be some time before what he's made of is known for sure. For the time being he's a joy to have around.

Ivy was born in Nov. 2007. She is from my Gwen X Cruz cross. I've been waiting a very long time for the right bitch to put Cruz with. I kept 2 of the 4 pups, and the other 2 are in very capable friends' hands. Ivy is a very stable pup, much like her mother. She's rather hard core, which is also her mother. She is going to look like Gwen in both build and markings.

Deal is a just a cool little bitch. She is very, very stable and friendly, and has wonderful feel for her stock. She is fearless with no back down. She is not overly quick to bite, but if she does, it's hard. As she's matured and gained experience she has developed more patience with "uncooperative" stock. She's a very good outrunner, that keeps tabs on her stock and adjusts herself beautifully all the way to the lift. She has a great deal of presence and typically gives her stock zero time to think about behaving badly. She has had two litters with my Toss. I have a female from each litter. Deal is an exceptional mother- one that is both loving and authoritative. In one word she is exceptionally "appropriate". Deal is an Imp Jim (aka Bomber) granddaughter and has dogs such as Templeton's #Roy, ##Wisp, Ettrick Bob's littermate Bett, and other hard working mid-western ranch dogs. Deal was born in Feb 2004.

Toss is a Nov 2003 pup that is a combination of very proven American dogs and well bred Imported dogs. Toss' American side consists of Sherry Smith's Nap, who is a #Sweep son. As well as Amanda Milliken's Boy and Hazel, who produced Lacy's Christian. His Imported side has several of Wales' WT Davies of dogs, as well as Dalziel's ##Wisp. In true Imported style, Toss is very forward, on the looser end of eye, and is wonderful at taking one powerful step at a time in a high pressure situation. He is a driving machine, marching on and keeping the line for as miles as you wish. He needed some time and experience to be relaxed enough to be trusted on the trial field- he's an incredibly intense dog. He has done well in the limited trials he has been to this winter of 2008. He's a big outrunner who is doing a wonderful job at learning how to lift properly. He has sired 3 litters, 2 with Deal and one with MaryJane. I have a pup from each of these litters. His first daughter from 2006, is a near clone. She looks like him, and her working tendencies are very much his. Off sheep, Toss is a bit of a class clown, always looking to entertain himself, and usually succeeding. Toss was well started in agility when I decided to go all herding. He had superstar potential. He was very high drive, focused, with exceptional work ethic. He was a very efficient jumper with incredibly tight on turns, while having great ground coverage and speed. He is fairly true to form of many imported dogs, being long, lean, and leggy. For his 21" of shoulder height, he has a great amount of leg. His ground speed is something I have never seen before. One a flat, tractor path down the middle of the field I cannot out do him on a 170cc atv!!

Jim is my Cruz X Gwen pup. From the moment he was born I felt a connection with him. I have no idea if he will be as exceptional on stock as his sire, but on a emotional level, he is already making himself special. Jim will be my puppy forever regardless of what he does or does not do!! He has had a few chances on sheep so far and is certain there is something he should be doing, he's just not sure what. He is incredibly biddable and wanting to please like his sire. Cruz is nearly 7 and this is his first litter. I'm hopeful that within Ivy and Jim there is the potential to have a "another" Cruz. Only time will tell!!

Clare is from my Nov 2007 litter from Deal X Toss. Unlike Kit, who is very much her sire, Clare appears all Deal. Her temperament is the same as Deal, she is built the same, she moves just like Deal, and aside from her small blaze she is marked just like Deal-right down to the 3/4 collar. Clare moves around sheep just like Deal- with great feel and sensibility. Deal was never a "puppy" on stock- she was born dead serious about stock, and Clare seems to have inherited this trait. At only a few weeks old, Clare was 'claimed' by my youngest son. She is always the perfect puppy in his eyes. Clare is a very friendly, sensible pup and I greatly look forward to her future as a stockdog and as part of the foundation of Black Water Border Collies!

Words just can't describe my feelings about Cruz. He is, simply put, my everything. There has never been anything he hasn't given me a 110% at when asked. Emotionally he means the world to me, I cannot imagine life without him. From a stockdog sense I could never put a price on what he is willing and capable of doing! He can literally work everything from 1 month chickens to cattle. And not just work them, do it correctly- naturally. He has the brains to put an entire barnyard of animals away, one species at a time. If I was to send him to the chickens and say "these", he will literally go between sheep's legs to get the chickens up. If I wanted to move the sheep and leave the chickens, I need only to cue that it's the sheep I want. All Border Collies are bright, but Cruz takes it to a whole 'nother level. His is my heart and soul, my constant companion, and probably my once-in-lifetime dog. He loves me, he trusts me, and the feeling is 110% mutual!! I can only hope that after 7 years, our relationship has many more incredible, enjoyable years!! Cruz is all ranch dog bred, most of which are cattle lines. His grandsire on his dam's is HatsOff Bill and his greatgrandsire is Ettrick Bob, who is a Henderson's Craig X Knox's Imp Jill son. Bob was a top trial dog run by Kathy Knox. His top side is all ranch cattle-bred dogs. Cruz was born in May of 2001. Before beginning his herding career at the age of nearly 3, Cruz was a top notch agility dog.


Kit was born in April of 2006. I kept her back from the first Toss X Deal cross. Kit is marked like, built like, and works like her sire. Also like Toss, she was on the slower side to mature and be trusted. She will be 2 this spring and has not yet been trialed. At home and at other training fields, she is a very intense, serious working dog. Like her sire, she is a very powerful, forward driving dog. Also like Toss, her outrun will be a bit slow to develop as she tends to rush the lift. She has lots of power and push, and usually prefers to do the right thing. Like Toss, she just needs time and experience. Once she learns to relax with distance between us, she will be a force to be reckoned with! I enjoy her very much. She's an attractive, athletic bitch with endless potential.


In Jan. 2006 I purchased Gwen after a cross that I had been waiting for for over 2 years was possibly not going to happen. I was referred to Gwen's breeder because the dam was of similar breeding. I can't help but think that sometimes the best things happen when it isn't the plan. There were only 2 females left and one just didn't do anything for me in the photos. Someone was coming to look at the puppies the same day I inquired about them. I told the breeder if they did not pick the freckle faced pup, to let me know. A few days later Gwen was home! She shares HatsOff Bill as a grandsire with Cruz. Her grandmother, HatsOff Wynn was a stellar stockdog and produced exceptional pups. The dogs on of her top side are from Canada, England, and Scotland. Her grandsire is Imp Jim CABC 128108 who is a son of ##Wisp. Her top side also includes ##Sweep and ##Spot. So it's quite the interesting blend of classic imports and good old western ranch dogs! Gwen is a very fast flanking dog, who stays off the sheep's bubble, but without ever losing contact. She's been known to take a down so readily on a flying flank that she has rolled herself over. With age she is learning when it's necessary to use steadier, smaller flanks. Her big, fast, clean flanks are a true blessing on fetchlines. Gwen has quite a lot of eye, which so far does not appear to be a problem. I just started shed work with her, and she is a star. She comes in quickly and completely and will readily control the group I indicate. She has nice stock sense and her typical nature is to keep the peace. She is natural outrunner, already running over 300 yards perfectly. She is wonderful in the barn, flanking cleanly and calmly in very tight spaces. If I had already been an Open handler and I had not bred her, she could have surely run well in nursery. She has been to only a couple trials and has run very well. She is a very stable, consistent dog on stock. Off stock she is an intense, goer type of dog, but incredibly responsive. Gwen is one of my favorite dogs to work and be around.











No comments: