Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Multiple Dogs and The Almightly Dollar


It's funny how when you've been doing something the same way for a long time, you almost get to where you don't even notice what it takes to do that particular thing anymore. Kind of like driving a car or riding a bike. When you first started, you could hardly think fast enough to make it all happen at the right time. Then years later you're driving, talking on the phone, drinking coffee, and refereeing the kids in the backseat- all while driving a stick shift during rush hour... It's almost like the driving part just happens.

Yesterday a had guest out that has only been here once before. When she arrived I was working on canopies on the kennels and the dogs were just out in the yard being dogs. They all greeted her and as they were running about, hoping she'd throw the toy one of them had already brought to her feet, she laughed and said "it's like a herd". I laughed back. Well, I guess to the "normal" person 13 dogs would look like a herd. It's not over whelming to me and none of my dogs are hurting for work, training, or attention. And, I suppose more importantly, they all listen. My dogs greet guests happily if they're out when they pull up, but of course if they happen to be in their 10x10' kennels, they bark. Non-"herd" owners are always amazed that I can say one time "All right, enough" and everyone shuts up. ("herd" owners aren't, as they typically have the same control over their multiple dogs) I over-heard my Mother telling a guest this summer (my parents live in AZ) that I have more control over 13 than most people do over 2! I suppose that's true. If I didn't, I could not have the "herd" I do. Around here, my routine is pretty much set by their needs. They have a routine as consistent, maybe even more, as our kids. I think that's vital to a dog. Just like it is with kids. To be content and settled, they need to have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen next.

Not everyone is cut out to be a "herd" owner. I personally would be bored and my dogs would be burnt out if I only had a few. I've been told that although I am fair and not harsh, I'm also a pretty demanding trainer. No doubt, I have expectations- probably greater than a good number of handlers. Not just on the field, but in over-all behavior. I love having multiple dogs to work. If one dog has an off day, I have several others to work and one of them is liable to be on that day! LOL! Seriously though, having multiple dogs helps me not push dogs. If I only had 2 dogs to work, I would probably train too long- hence the above mentioned burnt out dogs. As it is I can work the 6 dogs that are currently in training in about 3-5 hours time. That's plenty of time per dog. (I'm blessed that in any given day I have those hours to dedicate to training) I don't ever watch time when I work, it's all based on the dog and the task we're working on. Having several dogs to train also greatly benefits me as a handler/trainer, as none of them are the same. Each dog is trained and handled differently so you have to learn how to problem solve and be flexible in your strategies. It also allows me to give a dog a mental training break when needed and still get my "fix". Often times the best way to help a dog is to let him be for a week. I've done this multiple times with Toss and Kit, and often times during part of a bitch's cycle.

I think it's the day to day things that most people would have trouble though- I think most herding people would be happy to work dogs all day, that's not the issue. Which puts me back to the routine part again. The routine is as much for me as it is the dogs. You can't have this many and be working by the seat of your pants. You need to have a plan, and you have to stick to it. Maybe because I grew up on a horse farm, thus being familiar with daily chores that involved more than just a couple animals, it just comes naturally to me. All my dogs have an individual indoor spot, an individual outdoor spot, and can be trusted to just be loose on the 3 acres as one big pack.

It's all about what you're accustomed to. I have friend's with 5 children, ages 3-12. I cannot imagine. But, if I had 5 children, I would be accustomed to that, and I would have developed a system that worked.


Money. Money sucks. I sure can't wait to be working nights so I can have some!! I was hoping to head to NC today to visit and work dogs, but alas it would have resulted in fueling with a credit card, and at this point that's going backwards. Poop! Not only do I enjoy going to see friends, sit in the golf cart and chat, I enjoy getting the dogs on different sheep, getting input from more experienced people than myself, and getting Cruz and either Deal or Gwen on cattle. I really don't want to miss the cattle trial in April, but I really need to get some more time in on them. Cruz is a star on cows, so I don't question his abilities. But I'd like to take one other dog, not only because I know they can do it, but it will help make the trip worth the gas money. I had Gwen on cows once before and she was really getting the hang of it- however I would not trust that I could send her on an Open length outrun to cows and have her be 100% sure that's what I wanted at my feet. I'd also like to give Deal a chance, as she has such wonderful feel for her sheep and 110% holds her ground. If she bites (she's now mature enough she only bites on command- on sheep anyway), it's clean, it's hard, and she goes right back to pushing forward-no fuss no muss. In other words, it's quick, it hurts, and she follows it up. So I think she would be fabulous on cattle. I watched her do this yesterday to the ewe with a lamb. She was moving them off and holding them off the feeder for me and the ewe walked right on up, nose to nose and stomped at her. Deal held her ground, and waited. I gave her the bite command and she reached up and grabbed her nose until the ewe swung around and as soon as she was turned the other way Deal let go and took 3 steps into the ewe. This time she moved! I've also seen Deal do this same thing with goats, only as soon as the goat turned and she let go of it's nose, she quickly heeled it. She knew the goat was going to need a little extra... Stock sense. It's either there or it's not...


So... it's going to be a beautiful day- like 72 and mostly sunny, and although I'd like to be training with friends, I have the entire day (not baby sitting today and the boys are on spring break) to work dogs! Maybe I'll even take them for a 4 wheeler run and a swim at the pond this evening. There is a video clip of the pond on my youtube account. http://www.youtube.com/alinbcs I need to make some pizza crust dough this afternoon so we can have pizza before our youngest goes to baseball practice at 6:30, but aside from that I have no other scheduled plans. Life is good- and I'm not going to let the almighty dollar ruin my day!! :-)

No comments: