Friday, March 28, 2008

Transportation

(photo from CreativeSportsSupply Co in AL)
Transporting the dogs back and forth to trials and training safely is important and not always easy to accomplish. When I drove the Excursion, they rode in their usual crates. Although this was fine, it did mean allotting for the extra time to get them in and strap them down and then doing the reverse upon arriving home. Finding crate space for 6-8 dogs, even in a large vehicle can take some trial and error. When the vehicle is not just for the dogs, the crates don't get to be left in the van/suv. Now that I'm driving a crew cab truck, my current dog transportation is less than ideal. They all ride in the cab with me. I don't mind that at all, (in fact I enjoy it) but it's far from a safe, and riding in strapped in crates in the bed is even worse. I've gone back and forth between a very nice dog box (I could get a stacked 5 dog one- 2 on the bottom and 3 on the top) and a dog trailer. The trailer is not that much more than a 5 dog box of equal quality. The trailer has everything! It's insulated, has powerful fans, rain guards on the doors, a water tank with hose, lights, dog tie outs, storage, etc... Of course having a trailer means the bed of the truck is still available. (I could put on a topper and sleep in there if the weather or trial site was not tent friendly) I think it would soon become a PIA to take the dog box out to haul stuff and then put it back in every time I want to transport the dogs. I also question the safety if an accident happened. I've pretty much decided on a trailer from http://www.creativesportssupply.com They seem to have very well built trailers with all the right kind of extras, and appear to be built for the dogs' comfort. Additionally they are in AL, which is a doable state to buy a trailer from. It's a bit silly for me to look at trailers from places like OK or TX! The above photo is a 6 dog trailer from creative sports supply. I plan to purchase an 8 dog trailer. I don't trial 8 dogs at one time, but very often I'll take that many to training sites. Additionally, an 8 dog trailer will allow me to take all the working Border Collies with me when I go to a trial- therefore only leaving the pets at home for Ben and the kids to care for. This is a big ticket item, that will hopefully help make working 6PM-3AM 4 days a week worth it! Knowing I have a job will allow me to finance the trailer. I'm willing to for-go spring trials if it means it will allow me to purchase a safe, convenient way to transport my dogs.
Speaking of the job, I go in for training most of the afternoon on Tuesday. I feel quite lucky that I found the kind of job I was hoping for, with the hours I wanted, at the distance I wanted to drive- and it all fell into place immediately after I applied! Since I'll be leaving for work after Ben gets home, I'll be able to take "his" car, which gets almost 30mpg, in comparison to my V-8 150 that, well... pretty much gulps.
It's supposed to be 80 today!! Already windy though. It's been windy all week. :-( I'm finally done moving all the panels for the 11 10x10s! Whata job! Now I just need to buy about 17 bales of straw and they'll be set. I'm hoping I can get some videos of Gwen and Deal. Yesterday my heart sank when I saw the farmer out with his sprayer. But to my relief, he was only spraying the edges along the road. :-) It won't be long though. I believe the next ewe to lamb is very close. I hope she goes today, as it's going to be much cooler over the weekend. It'd be nice for the lamb to have a few hours of warm air.

No comments: