Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Natural Diet at it's best!

Well, we had our first death in the group of Rhode Island Reds Dylan's class hatched out. We made them a perfect spot on the side of the barn with their coop and enclosure. Somewhere, they are getting out. Usually just in with the sheep- which is fine, but that paddock does not have chicken proof wire. Well, today one got out and into the yard while I was taking my 2 hour nap (because I only got 4 hours in this morning). The kids found it and is was a fresh kill, so I just told them to leave it and the dogs will eat it. After one scuffle between Sly and Ivy, Mary Jane made off with it. "It" made it's way around the group until it was gone. It got me thinking that I really need to order 50 meat birds (RIR are layers, so less bird) and butcher them almost whole (or whole) and feed the dogs that way. Even if I just halve them. There is man up the road that raises rabbits and has quite the set up from what I hear. I imagine he has other breeds, but I know he has those huge Flemish Giants. Ben would need to make me a new rabbit hutch. I would think I could "mass butchering" of both meats. I could raise 50 chickens at a time, keeping a chest freezer well stocked. Next spring I should enough lambs that I can put a couple in the freezer for the dogs. Clearly a natural diet is the best way, but with a kennel of dogs, if you can't "homestead" it, it's pretty impossible. In my opinion a natural diet for the dogs is like us eating fresh meat and veggies vs. microwave dinners. Just like for our meals, it's more work to do it "right". I enjoy raising animals and having a "hobby farm" and do not have an issue with raising animals like birds, rabbits, and sheep for consumption so I'm looking forward to being able to do so. I'm hoping by spring time the dogs will be on a natural diet and I'll be on a pretty roll with raising their food. There are several small cattle farms locally and I need to get brave and just pull up one day and ask about buying a calf before they go off to market. There is a very nice butcher shop not too far from here that you bring in the live animal and have it processed the way you wish. I could do 1 or 2 calves and have the "good" parts done for us and some of it done up for the dogs. They don't need much beef from my understanding, but I know they enjoy the heavily meated marrow bones when I can find them at the store.

I went to Ella's today and helped her sort some sheep and then worked the calves. She took some videos, but I haven't looked at them yet. It was a good learning experience for Gwen, because when I sent her for the calves (she's only bee in that field once before) they were very well hidden in the trees in the shade about 200 yards away. She missed them on her first pass, but took the redirect and got them out of the shade nicely. (they've only been worked once before) Every time I send her, she learns more. She had a wonderful learning experience today in stopping running cows. After some work they wanted back to the shade. She's excellent. She stays very nice and wide and doesn't get shallow on the flank. She will get all the way around to their heads and then stop (and walk up if needed!) Perfect! She keeps her flanks open and QUICKLY gets to their heads. She works them in a manner that she can change their minds, and keeps herself out of harms way! Cruz got a short turn, but in the 93 degree temp. today he was about done after moving the sheep from end of the farm to the other. Deal did the sorting back at the barn. On days like today it was nice to have 3 dogs to turn to. It was simply too hot and humid to ask one dog to do it all. Cruz stopped taking my lie down commands, and that was my cue he was about fried.

I'll look at the videos tomorrow.

No comments: