Friday, June 6, 2008

10 Years Old Already!

Today is Dylan's birthday. He's 10. Hard to believe our youngest "baby" is now 10!! Yesterday was my day off. On Wednesday evening I asked the kids what they were doing in school, and of course since it's only a few days until they're done, it's not much. Work sheets and fun stuff, that's about it. So I told them they could stay home with me, since I see them so little of them these days and it was almost Dylan's birthday! (I see Dylan for 2 hours and Charlie for just over an hour the 4 days that I work- since they were born I have been home!) Turned out that Ben had taken the day off too! Ben and I see each other even less than I see the boys. At best we meet each at the door, but this past week I was gone before he was even home. So we sent the boys to bed and spent some time together Tuesday night, which included a mid-night swim in the pool. It was a bit cool yet, but it still felt good, as we were both pretty sweaty and full of bug spray from being at a ball game and then doing a few things outside in the 98 degrees when we got home! We went shopping for Dylan's birthday and he found two neat Bionicle sets and a couple more guys. He also got a nice snorkel set. He was very happy with his gifts. We went to the cycle shop and all 3 of them got motor cross pants and the kids got gloves. We decided the motor cross boots were a bit much and worried that Charlie would not be able to shift his 4 wheeler because the boots are so rigid. We found some nice "not quite high top" work/hiker type boots for them at wal-mart. They're steel toed, water and oil proof, and have non-slip soles. When the boys go atv riding, they go atv riding!! They are riding in the woods on rustic trails and they are not just tooling along. Good gear is common sense. What they do is very different from what I do- which is to ride along the edge of the field and woods line to run the dogs and take them to the pond. I still wear a helmet and goggles, but I don't need the gear they do.
I haven't looked at the videos Ella took yet. Maybe this afternoon. My only plan for today is to get the heaps of clean laundry put away. The boys are going to help! It is too hot outside to do anything out there, and I really need to get this laundry done. We are slowly getting caught up around here, and the clean laundry is about the last thing in the house that we (I) are (am) terribly behind on. I would like to get the kitchen floor washed before it's bad. Never again will I do white floors or use cheap flooring! I think I have finally gotten Ben to see that we need to get this diningroom/livingroom done! It has been in the same stage for about a year now, and I've about had it! He has to finish the little bit of dry wall mudding, get it sanded, then I can paint. Once painted, then Ben will do the trim, and then lastly the floor. It's going to be beautiful when it's done. It will be so much more motivating to keep the 2 finished rooms nice and pretty than it is to once again vacuum the sub floor and clean off the 12 year old table and chairs, who's better days are long past! The chairs have teeth scars from a puppy named Cruz! I do have very nice ($50/window and there's 6 in here) curtains that will stay. I will have to pick a color that will go with the curtains. We are forever done with mini blinds. The curtain are heavy and dark, so when they're closed, they block the light very well. Ben is going to my parents house on July 8th with the kids. He's staying for 6 days and the kids for a little over 2 weeks. My Mom will fly back with the kids and stay for 3 days. I'm hoping Ben can get the drywall stuff done before he goes, so while he's gone I can get the room painted. Then he'll have a week to get some of the trim up... It needs to get done, and I sure would like for my Mom to get to see some progress since they were here in January!!
It's supposed to be in the high 90's for the next 5-7 days! Already! We're already getting dry, and now the heat... What looked promising this early spring with rain and coolness is quickly becoming a distant memory! My sheep are loving eating on the 3 acres all night and it's becoming a good routine. The dogs typically have the 3 acres during the day and the sheep at night. Last night we were still outside at 8:30 and the sheep were up and roaming around, clearly ready for their nightly turn out. It's nice they can eat all night in the coolest part of the day and sleep all day in the shade and in the barn.
Time to go fold laundry.....

No comments: