Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Work, Priorities, and Change

Well, it's Tuesday and I haven't had a day off since last Tuesday. The new lady that they hired to help me did not want to do the job alone after only working with me one night. So I said "okay" to changing my Mon-Tues off to Tues and Fri, which are the same days she has off. I thought I was also going to have to work tonight, but when one of the managers looked at the computer there was no truck scheduled for tonight. I've been staying late several nights a week. I have really ended up being the go-to girl at night. I get "my" job done and then go wherever they don't have enough people to get it done. I don't mind- as silly as it may seem, it feels good to know people can count on and depend on me. I can now take care of freight in just about every dept. Sunday night there was no HBA person, so after I did my job I did all of HBA's freight, then went to toys and got half of that freight done. (usually the HBA girl barely gets her freight and area zoned by 5am) I had to leave at 4:30 because I had Ben's car and he needed to leave at 5am. Same thing happened last night. The new girl got our job done, all of HBA and pharmacy break packs done, then went to do chemicals. The 2 of us got all 4 HUGE pallets before she went home at 3am. I like doing freight in chemicals. It's HEAVY, but it's not as tedious as HBA. After the new lady went home, I got the dept. completely zoned and helped get some extra bleach pulled to fill before having to leave at 4:30. No one even asked me, I just stayed... I think the night managers simply know now that if there is still stuff to do, I'll stay as long as I can. It's so weird that I enjoy working there so much. Who woulda thought! I like working nights, and have no desire to work days. I like the night shift people and the work we have to do at night. If it's done right you work at a pretty intense pace.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need to make some changes in my priorities. Maybe it's all this sorting and putting things away quickly and correctly, but I am so ready to do a complete over-haul on this house!! We have WAY too much stuff, and it's kind of everywhere. It's starting to drive me nuts! Being July, it's usually too hot to work dogs, so I need to take advantage of the natural break in dog work and get this house right! I have decided to not go to the trial this coming weekend. I will kill myself trying to do it- plus I have other things I should spend that $140 plus fuel on! Like a dozen or so tubs to start my mass sorting. I have to start somewhere, and that will be the hardest part. I also need to be relentless with Ben about finishing the living room/ dining room construction. It has been in this same stage for about a year. As much as I loved that he decided to build the pool deck, I was pretty irritated that he picked starting a new job over finishing the other one! I am SOOO ready for that area of the house be done so it can look pretty and like a home again. I want to get a new country style dining room set, put pictures and my collector's Border Collie plates on the wall, get some house plants, and some neat floor and table lamps. All he has to do is finish a bit of the mudding and then sand the drywall mud. A weekend's worth. Then I can paint, then we can do the floor, then he can do the trim. I'm sickened by still looking at drywall and vacuuming subflooring! I don't know how to do the drywall mud, or I'd do it myself. I have threatened to use one of my paychecks to hire the job out if he doesn't it get done right quick. If he doesn't, I will. I'm sure I could figure out how to do the mudding and sanding, but that just makes me so mad. I know he works hard, but he tends to only work around here when he has time off from work. I work 40+ hours a week and still do stuff here- why can't he? If he just spent an hour a night on it, it'd be done in a week I'm sure. Maybe I can get him to do it this weekend, although I suppose he's going to want to finish the pool deck.... rrrrr! My husband is fabulous at the projects he does. What he can do, and do as well or better than people that get paid for it- but oh the teeth one has to pull to finish something up. That's his MO for sure!! Like taking the doors off all the upper cabinets because they'd need to be replaced anyway... Well that was about 3 years ago. Old doors are gone, and no new doors are on. About 6 months ago he decided to rip out my big pantry cabinet because it was hooked the "next wall that needs to be done" (remember the ones there are already 2 rooms worth that are still half done). So now not only do I not have a pantry, right by the main door (the kitchen door- which drives me crazy- the driveway and walk way are on the side of the house, not the gorgeous southern farmhouse front side!) I have a big area of torn drywall and kitchen floor where the cabinet was.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess the "changes" part kind of fit in with the new priority order. This house and how it's kept and how much time is spent on it is going to be a huge change. I don't feel like I am at a "crossroads", or anything quite that life-altering, but I do feel like I'm at the beginning of a huge shift in my day to day life and I'm super excited. Something happened to me in 13 years of marriage and 12 years of caring for my boys (who mean the world to me). I forgot about me. I forgot who I was and what I wanted. I've put my heart and soul into my kids and my dogs. I've come back full circle to remembering who I am, and that I'm not too old to still be that person. I've been working really hard at looking like I feel. I've lost 15 pounds and have 25 more I know I can lose. I'm 5'2", so 120lbs is a very manageable weight. I was 115lb when we got married. I'm already down a jean size (one more size to go) and back into Jr. size shirts. I usually like the style of the jr. shirts, but my arms and middle had gotten too big for them. It feels good to be caring about how I look again. I even found a new tattoo I want to go get. It's very cool and says a lot about my personality. It has 2 flowers and twisted in with the vines is barb wire. My wrist tat is a custom flower band. I'll get this one on the opposite upper arm. There are several girls at work that have very nicely done tattoos, so I need to ask them where they got them done. I paid $12 for the stencil and drawing of the new tattoo. When I lose the rest of my weight I am going to get a lower back tattoo. :-) There are some really neat Gemini ones made for your back. I'll post a picture of the arm tattoo when I have it done. Maybe next pay check.

No comments: