Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Another New Look

It is so darn hot!! Not much to do but work in the house and mess around on the computer. It's not even cool enough in the morning or in the evening to work a few dogs! I think it's supposed to cool off a little after today- which will be about 97, 105 or so with the heat index! When I went outside last night at quarter to nine to put dogs up it was still hot enough to make you sweat!! Yuck! I do hate these few weeks in Virginia! June and July were very reasonable, so I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. It stormed last night. I got up to put my truck windows up, but when I went outside this morning guess what I found on the picnic table? My phone. Crap!! I doubt it will work. I cannot be without a cell phone, so I guess now I get to buy a new one. I'm sure leaving it in the rain is covered, and actually I don't even know if Ben put insurance on them or not. I reckon he will give me the 3rd degree, because he never makes a mistake!
I have Sunday off the weekend of the trial at Breezy Hill, so maybe I'll quick send an entry off for the one day. We'll see. I need to see how much of my check I have left and now I probably have to buy a new phone.... It's always something, and unfortunately trialing does not sit above much at all on the priority list... :-( Someday, someday....
The pups are doing great and growing up already! They are pretty much only with their mama at night now. They are both very outgoing, friendly babies. Emma is trouble! LOL! She remains very full of herself and she is always doing something. The other night they came inside for a couple hours and Charlie had Emma about coming out of skin playing with a big wad of paper towel. I can't help but think what a shame I'm not still doing agility! She is really going to be over the top with drive and intensity and she is going to be quite a petite little thing. Logan is still the happiest little guy. He is forever wagging his tail and he just has that happy boy expression. He really enjoys people. I can see him being the kind of dog that will try and try and try because he loves you so much. The kind with no "hidden agenda". I'm anxious for it to cool off so I can put Clare and Ivy back on sheep again. They've had a good break to grow up a little more, so I'm excited to see what they'll do. I have today and tomorrow off. Thursday late morning I'll meet Michelle at work and we'll head to Richmond for the last 2 days of training. (it changed from Lynchburg to Richmond, which is great!) Then I have the weekend off. So if it cools down some, I should get in some nice work with the dogs. Thinking about going to Carol's on maybe Sunday. I hate to go on Saturday after being gone Thursday and Friday. I work 2 11am-8 shifts next week, so that'll be interesting. I'm curious as to what I'll be able to get done here at home that I normally wouldn't, and I'm also curious about what I'll be doing for 4 hours after all the dept. managers leave at 4pm. You really can't do anything in the backroom because it's all set up for them to throw the truck, so I'm not sure what I'll have to do- but I'm sure there'll be plenty.
I should have taken some pictures, but I didn't. Close to a month ago while we were (well Ben) building the pool deck Jim had a run-in with the trailer. We had it backed up to the house, loaded with lumber. When my dogs are in a particular mode, they run intense laps around the 3 acres. They all have a pretty set path, and going around the back side of the house up by the pool is the path of Jim. Well, he tried to squeeze (at full tilt) between the trailer and house. He hit the trailer with his shoulder and laid himself right open! Because of his "condition" I didn't think having him sedated for stitches was doable. I really didn't know what to do... (and of course it was like 7pm, and we all know how much it is to simply walk in to the ER) So naturally I called Carol. She told me to get some Nitrofurazone. So that night I cleaned it up with peroxide and iodine and brought his crate into the house. The next day Ben held him (and surprisingly he was a perfect patient) so I could shave the area. The gash was awful and I questioned weather this would heal without stitches. But being a farm girl, I have seen the power of healing when it's simply kept clean many times. Additionally, I trusted Carol's recommendation of the Nitrofurazone. She had healed a very ugly wound on a goat with it. I had to order it, so for the first 3 days I simply kept it clean and "open" with the peroxide and iodine. The size of the gash is hard to explain, but was almost the distance from my thumb to middle finger. There was little to no "flap"- it was just open. I have to say that stuff is amazing!! He is 100% healed and I never had to struggle with it getting nasty or wanting to close from the top. He will probably end up with a slightly raised scar maybe the length of my pinkie (but maybe not even that long), but I'd say that's impressive given the size of wound that healed without stitches or staples. I know Jim was glad when it had healed enough that he could go back outside most of the day. For 2 weeks or so he really only went outside to pee or maybe for an hour in the evening. He went from being quite content in his crate to becoming pretty restless. The ride to the vet, being at the vet, being sedated, coming around from sedation, and keeping him from pulling at stitches would have all been really, really traumatic for him, so I'm happy he didn't have to go through all that! Jimmy is a special pup that means a lot to me!!

No comments: