Sunday, August 30, 2009

The night has come

...that the pups begin crate training. It's been so hectic at work, that I delayed starting because sleep was already sparse. It was not the time to be dealing with pups during the night. So last week I quit putting Kit in the whelping box at night. (she had only been with them at night for about a week). So at least they're already used to not being with mama and those late night comfort suckles. They've been coming into the house each evening to play and eat. They've been eating a lot of ground turkey, yogurt, and eggs. So far Logan has been quiet as a mouse. Emma... not so much. She's pissed, not scared, just mad. I've "mama grabbed" her a few times and that little toughie hardly notices!! I can pull her neck all the way to the side and unless I take my other hand and push her butt over, she will not drop her rear! She doesn't even whimper when I correct her for barking, not whining, but BARKING- and loudly! (but she does respond and quits for 10-15 minutes) She's quiet now. They are both very smart pups, it won't take them long. Really the routine is no different, they're just in a crate rather than the box. They already know 9pm is bed time. I set the xpen up by the door for that early morning pee-pee. It's easier to plop them in the xpen then follow them all over the yard. I think the xpen also helps with the "you're out to pee/poop, not play".
I have tomorrow and Tuesday off, so hopefully I can get some new pictures of the babies. :-) Off to lay on the sofa and watch a little tv. I'm just gonna sleep down here so I'm not going up and down the steps throughout the night to correct Emma. I know some people prefer to just let them figure out that carrying on is not going to get them anything, but I can't seem to tolerate it long enough to allow that to happen. I'm all about properly correcting them for screaming and hollering. It works better for me. I end up with very honest adults. If any of my dogs fuss in a crate I know I better get there quick!! ;-) ......Hey it's been quiet for quite awhile. :-)

No comments: