Friday, September 18, 2009

Ramblings

Today's my day off from work, and I need it. I was yawning and kind of dragging most of the day yesterday. My new position (Zone Merchandiser Manager- Consumables) is nice. It's a lot more since I went from only worrying about paper and chemicals and only myself to paper, pets, chemicals, dry grocery, HBA, cosmetics, and pharmacy, and all those dept. managers and associates. Our store's biggest issue right now is that we simply do not have the people to get the work done that they expect to be done. It's simply impossible. So that is the biggest stress when we have our meetings and make our task managers for the day... Yesterday I did some other things, but most of my day I spent in HBA working live freight because the one and only HBA overnight associate called out. My HBA/cosmetics (she used to just have make-up, the HBA dept manager moved to the backroom and she will not be replaced as of now) dept manager walked into 6 pallets of live freight.... Lord! We continue to struggle with my dry grocery dept manager as she doesn't want that position and in all honesty it's too much for her. (she also has candy and the front end goodies (82) ). She was one of the several people that just assumed they were one going to get a ZMS position and didn't. She was sure she had the Front End Operations ZMS position, so she gave up her part time CSM position to be the candy dept manager. Well, she didn't get the ZMS position. Additionally the person they picked for the dry grocery area did not want it. So that's what she was offered- take it or step down to a part time position... So she's bitter and grocery is an intense area- you have to want it over there, and she doesn't. So that continues to be an area of concern. I don't like people to be unhappy with me, but I think it's unavoidable. Both Michelle and I have tried the "coaching for success" already. As have our 2 assistant managers.... Wednesday I did all of her prices for all 3 of her depts- for some reason she can't keep up with this, yet I did all 3 depts. in about 2 hours... She was supposed to comp several items, which she did, but she didn't change any of the stackbase toppers to save even more and make a was card for them. So I had to get the paper from the assistant and run around and change all the toppers and print off was cards. These are the kinds of things I have to be able to trust that she's going to get done. My verifying it was completed should only be asking her if it was done, not having to look- and worse yet have to finish it!! So I'm not sure where this whole situation is heading, but I don't think it's heading anywhere positive.... So that's work.
The boys seem to be having a good time in school thus far. Dylan's enjoying his gifted class with his new teacher. (different teacher and school for the 6th-7th graders) She has some fun field trips planned for them and some cool units. Charlie got into both of the accelerated classes that they offer. He's in 8th grade now and is taking a high school credited Math and Science class. (they don't have a gifted and talented class after 7th grade). He's quite excited because he's in Art this year. Ben leaves Sunday for 2 weeks. Welcome back to the "real" Navy. He's been off a ship for over 3 years and the last ship he was on was just being built. So it's been quite a good while since he's been on a ship that comes and goes.
Today will be split between the dogs and the house. I could really use about a 3 hour nap, but I doubt that's in the cards. Go, go, go. As they say you can sleep when you're dead. I've had the displeasure recently of someone doubting the bonds and relationships I have with my dogs. It was "suggested" to me that I cut down on the number of my dogs because how could I possibly work full time, have a family, and have strong bonds with the number of dogs that I do. I was told to not take offense to it... (pretty hard, wouldn't ya say?) which I didn't, as I don't have anything to be defensive about. The kicker is that this person has never seen me with my dogs, has never spent a week "in my shoes" to see how my days are managed, or asked anyone who does know me what kind of relationship I have with my dogs. It was hurtful at the time, but I guess it's just a thing. I told my husband about it and I won't repeat on here what he said. My poor husband, if anyone knows what my dogs mean to me, how much time and energy I spend on them, and how hard it is for me to put much at all before them, it's him. If I only have one day off during week- even if it falls on a weekend when Ben and the kids are home, he knows (and understands) that there is a pretty darn good chance I will either be off to train somewhere (and with a truck load, so I am gone the whole day) or I'm off to a trial. Or I simply spend about 4 hours rotating thru the whole crew here at home. Questioning my commitment to my animals is just about the most personal way to attack me. (Only topped by questioning my love and commitment to my kids or husband. ) I think the lesson here is do not form opinions or pass judgements on someone/situations that you have never even met/witnessed. I think that is the one of the big dangers of the internet. People think that they know each other via email, blogs, websites, etc... They don't. There's no way you can. The internet is like tv, it's only entertainment....

No comments: