Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Almost Summer

Summer is almost here! We had a nice taste of it this long weekend. After a busy Friday (field day at school and a ball game) the kids had a 3 and a half day weekend. It will be quite a load off to not have to shove so much into our short evenings with school and field trips and events and projects and ball practice and games! It's all just life, but it will be a welcome 2 month break!
Ben and 2 friends spent one day finishing the property fence. I can now completely relax while the dogs are out, and while I'm working sheep. Additionally the dogs are now free to be themselves on the 3 acres even without supervision and worry of the road! It's so fun to have them loose on the property! Since I took down the 100x100' that was off from their kennels, they have either had to be kenneled, or 100% supervised in the yard. What a wonderful thing to let them run about and be dogs on 3 acres and know they are SAFE!! The sheep are currently being turned out on the grass all night, and when the dogs aren't out. We also got the chicken area finished and moved into their new home. They are funny birds and very imprinted to Dylan and I. I like birds. So does Cruz!
I went to Carol's last Thursday and we did a lot of catching up and working of dogs. I brought the puppies and gave her Cruz pup, Keele a turn on sheep too. He's a tough cookie and he and Ivy are the same mold. He has more eye on sheep, but by the end of the little session was changing direction quite well. He's not nearly as locked in as Gwen was at that age, so that's good- he's a couple clicks freer. Ivy did awesome and Carol said she is the better of the 2 pups (as much as you can judge them at 5 months anyway). She has just a bit less eye than Keele, and you can already see her feeling sheep. Both her and Keele will take sheep off the fence and out of a corner with their tails down and no acceleration of speed. Very brave pups who aren't out there making a mess in the name of a good time. Very serious and relaxed for such youngsters. I have things to talk about in regards to Jim, but now is not the time. I am not there yet. He is such a happy puppy and he is all Cruz. (to the "spies" that read this- nothing is wrong with his hips btw) Ella's Wren is doing great and having the round pen here for Ella to work her in is perfect. She's a very nice puppy. Clare was her usual self and is getting faster and pushier, so time to put her "up" until she mentally handle a little handler pressure without worrying her. I think she is going to be Deal thru and thru. Carol thought when I first let the pups out into the field, that Clare was Deal! Not only does she look like Deal, she moves like her. Sly is sold and will be going to his new home when he's around 10-12 months and has a little herding foundation. Right now he's going thru a stage of being a little concerned about the sheep. That's fine, I'll try him again in a couple weeks.
I'm planning to go to a friend's on Saturday and swap rams (I'm trading my Dorper for a Cheviot) and working cows. I may just take Cruz and Gwen so I'm home before dark... I work both Friday and Sunday, so I'll probably go real early on Saturday and be home in time to sleep for a few hours during the day. We'll see. I need to stay up in the morning after work tonight as Ben needs to leave at about 6am. That'll be fine. I'll get the dogs worked in the morning, sleep a few hours and then get some house work done. The 4 of us all worked on the house for several hours yesterday. (yes, I got up at 10am, worked all day and then went to work from 5:30pm-3:30am- after I made pancakes and packed lunches this morning I slept till 11am) We're doing a deep clean of every room and then everyone is going to help me stay caught up. I am just going to have to start being a "mother" about bedrooms and leaving a general trail of crap behind them! They're better than they were 6 months ago, but they are still far from doing what they could. I'm too easy on them! They fuss and I give! I need to treat them like my dogs- fair and firm- but with my kids I'm a bit mushy! LOL! I explained to them that I don't have much time (or want to spend much time) to clean, and when I have to spend 2-3 hours picking up after them (Ben included) that I never get to things like dusting and windows and I'd like to be able to do those things! This will be the summer of change! They are too old to be picked up after as much as they are! Ben worked with them in their rooms and they're both very happy to have such nice rooms. Now I have to be a bear and everyday make them pick it up- no exceptions!
Anyway, need to go now for today. I've got an hour before I need to start getting things ready to leave for work. I need to spend that hour in the kitchen....
Things are going good at work and I enjoy being there. The lady that works opposite days is quitting and the lady they recently hired (and had me train in) is not very excited with the job and will probably leave. Sunday night she came in 25 minutes late, then got upset because she had waited 15 minutes for a manager to clock her in and no one had showed up, so she left. She left me with two trucks worth of work. Nice! Oh well, the more people that come and go, the more valuable I become. She came in last night, which I didn't expect her to do. She does a decent job when she's there, but she wants the job to be something it's not. She wants to only do what we were hired for. Well, it doesn't work that way. Some nights we have more than we can get done and some nights we get sent to different departments. I guess she thought we were always going to have 8 hours worth of unpacking and sorting to do... The thought of Christmas makes me ill!! LOL! I'm trying to nudge my way into a 5th day so I'm full time. That way when the busy season rolls around, OT is there if I want it. :-)

No comments: