Monday, May 12, 2008

We're on a roll!

Now that we're in our 30's and in debt, Ben and I are finally sticking to the plan of digging out, and not returning! It's a frustrating process, and it's so easy to resort to plastic! But we have been very good about not using it, and about paying things off. We applied all of the tax return money (probably close to $2500) towards debt this year. Ben just called me to tell me that they put in the tax incentive on Friday. $1800. He said "I spent it". My heart sank. He enjoys doing that to me; making me panic momentarily... He paid one card completely off, and put $500 towards another and left $400 in the bank. Yeah for us!! (ha-ha government, we did not go out and spend $1800 at walmart like you wanted us to!!) We're terrible money managers- there I said it! We're getting better, but we're pretty bad. We have some pretty nice toys. (the kids and Ben have every game system under the sun, we have a huge tv, we have 2 brand new 4 wheelers and 4 in total, we DID have a $60,000 truck, I have everything I need to care for 13 dogs, etc....) Trading the big truck was the first big step and we have been much better about "we really don't need that" since doing that. One "big" thing I want is to figure out is what I want to purchase to transport me and my dogs. I want to eventually (and relatively soon) be able to travel quite a distance and not worry about my dogs' safety and where they're stay if I have to hotel it, or at the trial itself. The dog trailers are perfect for the dogs, but are expensive as all get out, and it still leaves me in a tent... LOL! My latest thought is finding a 2-horse gooseneck trailer with a dressing room. Having a dressing room means there will be a bunk bed in the gooseneck part, and plenty of room for clothes and a small table, etc. (we had a 4 horse gooseneck with a dressing room when we showed horses, and slept all 4 of us!) I'd probably still have to buy a 3-dog dogbox for the truck for shorter trips. As much as I enjoy them in the cab, it's extremely unsafe! Ben could make some permanent shelves for the crates, that include permanent ways to hook them down and in. I saw the right type of trailer in the paper the other day. It's older, a 1974, but it's just what I wanted (right down to an awning and water tank) and it's only $3200. I was thinking of calling and just going to go look at it to see if what I think we could do with that type of "rig" would work. We'd be "self contained" in such a set up. I have a F150, V8 so pulling it is not a problem. I'd much rather pull a gooseneck than a bumper pull, Ben have to put the ball put in the bed of the truck. The good thing about horse trailers is that unless it's been unused for years, people keep them up. Too much value riding in them to have the floor boards be iffy or the tires going bad! It's something fun to think about. It'd actually be a pretty fun project. Ben is so talented and has every tool known to man (I forgot about that in the above mentioned "big toys"), so it'd be really neat to see what he'd come up with to customize a trailer for me. All I'd need to do is tell him what kinds of things I want, and he'd find a way to professionally do it for me. He doesn't do anything half-ass and everything he does looks like a pro did it! He amazes me!

No comments: